Thursday, July 03, 2008

Construction Buzz

I used to work in a construction company and it was truly a steep learning curve for me. There I learnt from the engineers and quantity surveyors themselves how building costs were calculated and what Precast Concrete meant and how important it was for building a sturdy house. In recent times, we have moved from using red mortar bricks to precast concrete simply because precast concrete is a hardy material that is fast and easy to build.

Part of our projects included building some homes in Africa and our engineer originally suggested using Precast Concrete Septic Tanks for their homes as they did not have a good existing sanitization system. However, that idea had to be scrapped as the prices of cement and concrete started increasing beyond what the poor African nation could afford. Although I spent just a year in the construction company, the amount of information I picked up there was really valuable in helping me understand how my own house is built and what questions I should be asking my developer.

No comments: