Friday, May 26, 2006

Madam Kwan's

We had lunch today at Madam Kwan's, MidValley. I hadn't been there in a while. They were doing a roaring business in the jam-packed restaurant. However, to my surprise, service was pretty fast as our dishes came very quickly after our order.

Madam Kwan's serves mainly local hawker-style food but with style (and of course, steeper prices too). They use nice porcelain plates with nice spoons and the best part, provide nice big saucers of chilli padi! We ordered cold water and every water jug of theirs has a little strawberry floating inside to flavour the water! However, there wasn't much flavour at all!

I didn't bring my camera so I had to "borrow" this pix from Boo. My photo taking skills are not as great as hers! Boo...hope you don't mind!

Colleague #1 had the char kuey teow (approximately RM12). This took quite some time in coming as I believe they actually fry each plate upon your order. I didn't get to ask her how it was but it looked pretty good and was a decent-sized portion. I did notice quite a lot of squid and prawns amidst the noodles and she was enjoying it so I suppose it was really good!


Colleague #2 couldn't decide and our unanimous recommendation was their Nasi Bojari (RM19)! I had this once and fell in love with it! They serve a bowl of multi-coloured rice with a nice big fried chicken leg, assam prawns and your choice of beef rendang/chicken curry. It comes nicely presented on a nice round fragrant banana leaf which makes that eating experience that little bit more authentic! My colleague really loved it and polished up every bit!

I had the Ipoh Hor Fun (approximately RM12). Oh dear, bad choice. The soup was absolutely tasteless and the beansprouts raw-tasting. The hor fun was smooth and slippery though as it should be. There was quite a bit of shredded chicken (tasteless!), 2 big prawns and a whole handful of chives (I hate Chinese chives!). So, unlike my colleagues who were tucking into their lunch with great enthusiasm, I didn't enjoy mine too much.

There are lots more other dishes on the menu and I've heard lots about their Curry Fish Head! Good tasty food but a little on the steep side. Enjoy nevertheless...and I really don't recommend the Ipoh Hor Fun!

Boo did a post on it too!

5 comments:

FooDcrazEE said...

is it as good as those in KLCC ?

Babe_KL said...

aiks i had that hor fun before and i have to agree with u dat its really bland. i feel madam kwan's spicy stuff were nicer.

Babe_KL said...

aiks i had that hor fun before and i have to agree with u dat its really bland. i feel madam kwan's spicy stuff were nicer.

Anonymous said...

Will try the spicy stuff next time I'm in town... :p

Pink Elle said...

Foodcrazee - Never tried the one in KLCC so can't compare.

Babe - Yeah, have eaten much better hor fun in hawker stalls!

Amelia - Do come over! :)