Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Steaks & Salad

My apologies, this has turned into a food review blog rather than a cooking one! Some recent turn of events has kept me away from the kitchen here. So I thought I'd share some cooking we did in Oz instead!

One nice thing I noticed was that most people there finish work by 5.30pm, giving them ample time to stroll off to Woolies (or Woolworths) to pick up ingredients for dinner. So you aren't limited to having to work around what's in your freezer or fridge. Another nice thing about Aussie and UK grocery stores is their practice of marking down food that has been on the shelves for a while. So if you're not too fussy, you can pick up bread which has been marked down from $1.50 to a mere $0.60 or meat which has been reduced! The reduced food is still fresh. It's only perhaps been sitting on the shelves a bit longer than the others. As a self-confessed grocery store lover, I must say that wandering about Woolies was definitely one of the highlights of my trip! :)

On one of our nights, we saw porterhouse steaks on special for approximately $7+ so that was dinner that night!
J's sis, A, marinated them in a delicious mix of herbs, soy sauce and pepper before grilling them. They were done medium and pink juices still glistened when we cut into the meat.



I offered to prepare the salad and did a simple one with lettuce, tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes and cheese.

We ate the lot with fettucine, hot from the pot.









It took less than an hour to get dinner ready and the steaks filled us all to bursting! Washed down with red wine and easy conversation, it was a great meal!

2 comments:

boo_licious said...

Yum! Those steaks look great. Yeah, I like picking up food late in the evening too so I don't keep stock in my fridge as sometimes I just don't feel like cooking, they all go to waste.

Pink Elle said...

I would love to pick up food late in the evening too but sigh, work just doesn't allow that!