Thursday, March 08, 2007

Oodles of Noodles

I've been having a hankering for instant noodles but the hidden health freak in me has been trying very hard to avoid the MSG-laden and high fat noodles swamping the market. So, on a trip to Singapore last December, I was very excited to find Koka Low-Fat and MSG-Free instant noodles there!


So, last night's dinner was the instant Chicken Pho which I had with my favourite poached egg white and DoDo ngoh hiang fish rolls.


The packet came with dried hor fun type noodles, a packet of seasoning, oil and a small pack of garnishing which provided the green sprinkles above. The brown stuff were the fish rolls which I drained in hot water first so the oil on it wouldn't contaminate the noodles.

And the verdict? It actually tasted pretty good! It had a subtle chicken taste, unlike some brands of noodles which come strongly flavoured. The noodles were silky smooth and the dried spring onions and chilli garnishing gave it a bit of a spicy kick. The best part, was of course, not having the terribly thirsty feeling one gets after eating instant noodles.

Curious about this brand, I googled it and was surprised to see that it's popular in places as far as Ireland and UK! I've recently seen the labels in our local supermarkets but sad to say, I've never seen the low-fat ones available here. Perhaps it's time we start being a little more health-conscious too especially with the recent health drive and move to ban fast-food advertisements.

I can't wait for my next trip to Singapore to stock up on more of these! :)

No comments: