Monday, May 14, 2007

Pan Mee, Jalan Maharajalela


Sis had been telling me about this little stall in Jalan Maharajalela which serves it's speciality, pan mee, only on Friday lunch. It's a little zinc roof stall built around an old tree (you can see it's massive trunk through the stall!) which normally sells mixed rice during the week. But on Friday, it's pan mee day which sells out pretty fast!

I finally got the chance to try it last Friday. The pan mee came in a pretty plate which almost made me feel like I was eating in a restaurant! I think it was because they ran out of their usual plastic bowls! This was the thin version and it came with a healthy serving of meat, sliced mushrooms and my favourite fried anchovies. Taste-wise, it was very deliciously home cooked and a hefty portion for RM4! It comes with a little bowl of soup with 4 generous little meat balls! Thumbs up :)

They have the soup and dry versions and you have the option for spicy or non-spicy. Mine was a mix between the two. I think their spicy version uses meat cooked in a spicy sauce as opposed to the usual black sauce. Would love to have it again...up for lunch this Friday, ParisB?!

6 comments:

PB said...

It usually sells chicken rice la... but the style is quite unique no? I keep saying it'll do well with a poached egg on top but can't get the boss to do it for me.

Precious Pea said...

Wahh...Fri is Pan Mee day. Quite a nice tactic to attract people to come, ahaha..looks good too!

may said...

haven't found a good pan mee place here yet. then again, haven't been looking. just today I stumbled upon a place that served pretty yummy Ipoh hor fun!

there's one at Jalan TAR that's really good too, with lots of dried chili!

I wonder if Aussies would like pan mee...

Pink Elle said...

I thought you ate mixed rice there on normal days?! Yeah, a poached egg would be perfect but that'll be too much like Kin Kin's eh?

It's good, Pea! :) I love pan mee!

Hmm..don't see why Aussies won't like pan mee, May! It's very similar to pasta and when I was there, I remember laksa topping the charts as the No.1 food! I know which you mean - Kin Kin!! Yum...now I'm craving for it!

L B said...

That looks like heaven twice!! Really does... *slobber* Even the plate looks pretty..

Pink Elle said...

*DHLs a plate of pan mee to LB* Almost halfway through the week!