Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Why Did the Ducks Cross the Road?

The place where I live keeps some ducks as part of the landscape. They're big, fat and white little buggers which must have done good in their past life. All they do all day is frolic in the pond, snooze under the tree and get fed by all the thrilled little kids and guards! My dad counts them every now and then and it's funny how their numbers increase and decrease sporadically. We suspect the guards for fattening them up for a good ducky meal! :p

Anyway, yesterday morning, I left as usual and had to stop my car cos half of these white fat buggers were crowding around on the road! The other half were watching with their beady eyes over the hedge to see how far their relatives would get before they attempted it themselves! Sitting comfortably on the road, they cleaned themselves and pranced around, making no attempt to move even when I hooted softly.

Then suddenly, the idea that they were holding up traffic must have occurred to them 'cos they suddenly decided to take off back to the other side of the hedge where they came from, amidst much quacking and waddling (they're really too fat!)! So, why did those fat ducks cross the road?! Hehe...a question for you on a Wet Wet Wednesday!

9 comments:

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

I'm not sure why they crossed the road, but I must say I'd rather be that fat duck waddling in the rain than a fat lemongrass being stuck in this darn office.

Tummythoz said...

Lol at lyrical lemongrass's outburst.

L B said...

I don't even know why the chicken crossed the road, and you come up with ducks?

Anonymous said...

I'd go with Homer's answer, as Homer knows best. :-P "There was free beer on the other side of the road."

Pink Elle said...

Aww..lemongrass *hugs* Yeah it's a fat Pinkelle sitting in the office too getting fatter! Doesn't being a bean counter suck?!

Hehe...Tummy!

LB, ducks are different from chickens so they probably had different incentives to cross the road! LOL! :p

Welcome Gallivanter! If there was free beer on the other side, there'll be more than ducks crossing! ;)

Anonymous said...

I love the pic! And I bet the guards are getting siew ngap dinners now and then :P

may said...

ducky duckies!! I saw some really nice ducks when I was cycling up near FRIM, a little more towards Sg Buloh. cutesy little things, they are... all that waddling!

Orbiter said...

When I was a kid, I adopted 5 little ducklings from my aunt's duck farm in Labis. 4 of them turned out to be females, which were fine, but 1 turned out to be an agressive, territorial and protective drake which often chased me around the house!

They lived happily with my 5 chickens and my other pets (but that's another story). Fed them 'ya pok' (some kind of coconut byproduct in hokkien) mixed with corn. I even built them a little duck pond in my garden, which they enjoyed tremendously!

My favourite one was a female named Duffy, who lived the longest amongst all, to a ripe old age of 8 years.

Anyway, we had lotsa duck eggs and they were fresh and good!

Pink Elle said...

You bet, Paris!

I'm always amused at how ducks waddle, May! Never fails to bring a smile to my face!

Can just imagine you being chased round the house by a duck, Orbiter! Haha...